Email at NYSPI
Employees receive an email account when they begin working at NYSPI. The format for employee email is firstname.lastname@example.org. You may access your NYSPI email online at https://mail.office365.com or via an email client such as Microsoft Outlook.
Please note that client-level access will only work from approved networks, such as NYSPI offices and limited pre-approved CUMC networks. Outside these networks, you may use the web-based access or approved mobile devices.
All NYSPI devices should use the subscription-based "click-to-run" Microsoft Office package available from https://portal.office.com. Clients should be installed by staff responsible for your workstation's software.
The most common questions we have received regarding the system can be found in our Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Office 365?
Office 365 is Microsoft's bundled software package which includes e-mail; Office "productivity" programs such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint; Online collaboration tools including Sharepoint Online; Online personal file storage; and more.
- How do I access Office 365 email?
Office 365 e-mail is available at https://mail.office365.com. This is the most reliable way to access your e-mail and this interface is vastly improved from that of the current web e-mail environment. Office 365 will also work with Microsoft Outlook. This page outlines all of the ways that you can access Office 365 email on desktop and mobile devices.
- What software do I need for Office 365?
Office 365 works great from most standard web browsers and using current Office applications. Full functionality and reliable use of Office 365 email requires Outlook 2016 or 2013 on Windows or Outlook 2016 on Macintosh. If you don't have this software installed currently, don't worry. All NYSPI computers managed by psyIT (part of the NYSPI "Domain") will receive the latest version of Office 365 during the migration. Mac users can use the web access to install the latest version of Office. Software should NOT be updated until after the migration and should be installed from the web access portal (https://portal.office.com) to ensure the correct version and license is applied. Obviously, psyIT or your program technical liaison can help with software issues.
- What is the website for Office 365 E-mail
- What is an email client?
An email client is a desktop application that enables users to receive and send emails directly on their desktop. Typically, email client requires an email address to be setup and configured before user can start using email service. Microsoft Outlook is an example of a widely used email client. You can setup your NYSPI profile in Outlook to manage email.
- Reserving Rooms at NYSPI
Outlook can be used to schedule meetings, check room availability and reserve rooms. Instructions on how to use these features are available for Windows and Mac. A list of rooms available at NYSPI can be found here.
- How can I access email from home or over a cell network?
Office 365 will see you differently depending on the network and the method you are using to read your email (i.e. through a browser vs. via Outlook). You will be seen as "Internal" if you access Office 365 while at work because it recognizes the NYSPI network that you are using.. Access from other networks, including home networks, CUMC and NYP networks, requires additional security measures such as an RSA Token. This page covers much of the details regarding RSA tokens and how to request one.
- Where can I find more information about Outlook?
More information about Outlook can be found at https://its.ny.gov/microsoft-outlook
- What options exist for reading mail on my mobile device?
1. Browser (Android & iPhone/iPad): Your NYSPI e-mail can always be accessed via a web browser at https://mail.office365.com. This is the only option currently available for Android users. An RSA token is required for browser access outside NYSPI-approved networks.
2. Mobile OWA App: Microsoft is eliminating support for the Mobile OWA app on both Apple iOS and Android, but while available, it may be used. You will need an RSA token to set-up access to your NYSPI mailbox. Information about setting up the OWA app can be found here.
3. Native Integration (iphone & iPad): Apple users can integrate email into the native iOS mail application using the NYS MobileIron Mobile Device Management (MDM) tool. Details about MobileIron setup can be found here.
- Do I need a token to access mail on my iphone?
A token is not needed if your mobile device is configured with MobileIron and you are accessing mail through the native iPhone/iPad Mail app. Access from a browser or using the OWA app, even on a mobile device, may require a token.
- How do I add a shared mailbox on my Iphone?
You can use the mobile browser for ad hoc access to shared mailboxes. iPhone users can use the OWA app for to access a shared mailbox on their phone. Follow the procedures outlined above..